Monday, January 27, 2014

Book Club


This winter has been relentless.  We are enjoying our 3rd day off of school this month due to the extreme cold temperatures and we just got word that we are off again tomorrow.  We are taking pajama day to the extreme!  We did spend the weekend going from hockey practice to batting practice to dance shows and evenings with friends.  But we are in today and nothing says cozy like a hot cup of tea, a warm blanket and a great book.  

Now that the kids are getting older, I find myself wanting to read again and by that I mean a book without large print and pictures.  I have spent most of my time as a mom reading to and for my kids and not for myself.  My relaxing time was spent watching mindless TV trash, which isn't so bad when your exhausted.:) I have resolved to read more and I'm making a shift from book club member who doesn't read, to book club member who reads every page!  

Our club is 11 moms and we all live in the same hood.  Our kids go to school together and we've known each other for years.  Some moms are what I would describe as super readers, they are very knowledgeable in the literary world and read a book a week. Then there are those who are occasional readers and pick up a book every once in a while.  And then there is me who hasn't read a book for pleasure since 4th grade when I read "Are You There God? , It's Me Margaret."-Ha!   

Our reading styles are so very different, but our friendships make it work.  Our book club gives us a literary excuse to get together.  We have one night every other month-we discuss the book, share our life stories and have some cocktails or a fine glass of wine.
I'm excited when I say that I've read the last 2 book selections and I've started the 3rd.  We've even downloaded the Goodreads App on our phones.  It's an app that will record my reading preferences and the reading habits of my friends-it allows us to rate, review and discuss the books on our lists with millions of other users.-all the cool kids are usin' it.  

I've discovered in the last few months that I can get lost in a book even if it's only momentarily. My girlfriends and book club are transforming me into a well read person-one book at a time.  Yay!

I'd love to hear about your favorite reads and ideas for our next book club pick.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover Pin It Code

<